Skip to main content

Broken Raw Egg Challenge

Broken Raw Eggs with Brown Shells

6 x 6 inches, Oil on Board

This is my first ever (in my entire twenty plus years of painting) attempt at painting broken raw eggs.  If it wasn't for Carol Marine, I wouldn't even think they were worthy subject.  Just goes to show you can't judge an egg by it's shell.
 
I need to say, I've learned so much while painting this piece.  Mostly with light, reflected and translucent.  I'm also very happy with the outcome.  I know there are some weaknesses, but I decided this is best I could do at this time of my career and stopped while I was ahead.
 
Below are some images of how this progressed:
 
 
This is a shot of the actual setup.  I love Pyrex ware.  I still have my custard cups from...well somewhere in the late 60's
 
 
This is the painting pretty far along.  But I wasn't really happy with that black swath in the background, so I adjusted the color and value to make it reflect that this is going to be a happy painting.
  
 
 
The only thing left to do was to adjust the left egg yolk's highlight.  To make it look like it's sitting on top of a rounded yolk, not invading it!  My mom and I enjoyed these two and one more with sausage and toast...all cooked of course! 
 
 
Labor day weekend has officially launched and I would like to take a minute to thank those of you who read my blog and those of you who purchase my artwork.  I love painting and being a working artist is a job I don't want to quit, nor will I ever retire from.  Very few workers can say that.  So on this labor day, I'm very thankful for my job and especially for my patrons. - Brande





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Piglet Oil Painting, "Hay Maze" by Brande Arno

The finished "Hay Maze"  Piglet Art I truly love how this piece came out.  I've been amazed at the pure color and beautiful brushwork of Angela Moulton's paintings. Every time I see her latest collection on YouTube, I am awestruck at how pure the background color is.  So I wanted to try my hand at upping background color value in my work.   Below is how I started: Hay Maze Start Here, I establish the main layout and gesture of this piglet's face.  I'm striving for something that looks painterly, yet would bring a smile to the face of the viewer, so this stage is important.  Also, color values on the pig are being set.   Hay Maze about halfway This is where I put that rich background color in.  Notice some neutral colors in with the bright.  I wouldn't want all bright green here as it would be like all caps when texting.  I'll re-post the final Hay Maze below: Lots of changes from the halfway point,  I added shadows in the h

Cocco and a move

"Cocco" 4 x 4 inches, Oil on Gessoboard I have some news for those who subscribe and my collectors.  I'm moving back to Blogger.  It's been a long time and I tried another blogging venue.  It didn't work for me.  This artist has spent countless hours trying to get tech savvy.  I want to paint.  So stay tuned.  First post for 2017 coming shortly.

The Rare Snowman

The Rare Snowman, 4 x 4 inches, Oil on Panel Sold - Thank you! It's a warmer day today and the one snowman in the neighborhood is not faring well.  In addition to melting he's got a problem with one of his twig arms.  I take Cooper & Cookie for short walks several times a day and when I saw what was happening to this guy, I knew I had to make a painting of him.   While returning home, I pondered  how many snowmen are not created because of video games.  I know that I don't see them much at all.