Skip to main content

Mother's Day Roses

8 x 8 Inches, Oil on Panel

Mother's day, 2015 was quite meaningful for me as my daughter and granddaughter made a 4 hour trip to visit. When you live more than a fews hours away from family, warmth fills the heart when you're in each other's company.

My mom, who will be 87 next month, lives with me and my husband. How blessed we were to have four generations present at the table. My daughter carried in roses. Beautiful roses, a dozen each of coral and magenta. As I put them to water in vases, I was being bit hard by the inspiration bug. I bided my time.

I generally have common sense when it comes to barking up the wrong tree, but not when it comes to painting florals. I say this because I always have problems when painting florals and roses in particular. Over the years, struggles and trials at the easel have resulted in resolve to accept what I can do in the "roses" department.

I like the outcome of "Mother's Day Roses" it's just not what I saw when I made my first mark.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Piglet Oil Painting, "Hay Maze" by Brande Arno

The finished "Hay Maze"  Piglet Art I truly love how this piece came out.  I've been amazed at the pure color and beautiful brushwork of Angela Moulton's paintings. Every time I see her latest collection on YouTube, I am awestruck at how pure the background color is.  So I wanted to try my hand at upping background color value in my work.   Below is how I started: Hay Maze Start Here, I establish the main layout and gesture of this piglet's face.  I'm striving for something that looks painterly, yet would bring a smile to the face of the viewer, so this stage is important.  Also, color values on the pig are being set.   Hay Maze about halfway This is where I put that rich background color in.  Notice some neutral colors in with the bright.  I wouldn't want all bright green here as it would be like all caps when texting.  I'll re-post the final Hay Maze below: Lots of changes from the halfway point, ...

Double Take

Indigo Bunting, 4 x 4 inches, Oil on Board Click to Bid I'm fortunate to have a mated pair of Indigo Buntings visiting my bird feeder.  I say that because I've had the bird feeder for over 10 years and my first sighting was last week.  The male of this species sports stunning ocean blue feathers...some teal in there also. I paint with a very limited palette, so I was challenged to come up with the right mixtures.  But it wasn't very long before I realized that mixing the right "Indigo" color wouldn't be enough.  So I subdued everything else, to include his cute little beak.

The Rare Snowman

The Rare Snowman, 4 x 4 inches, Oil on Panel Sold - Thank you! It's a warmer day today and the one snowman in the neighborhood is not faring well.  In addition to melting he's got a problem with one of his twig arms.  I take Cooper & Cookie for short walks several times a day and when I saw what was happening to this guy, I knew I had to make a painting of him.   While returning home, I pondered  how many snowmen are not created because of video games.  I know that I don't see them much at all.