Skip to main content

Stormy Skies

Stormy Skies Ahead

8 x 8 inches, Oil on Board, $150.

I have very good childhood memories on a dairy farm.  An extended family member married a dairy farmer and I was invited to spend a few weeks over summer vacation on the farm.  I loved it!  It did take about an hour for my nose to get use to the pungent smell of the barn.

I didn't know it then, but I was working for my keep.  I helped with milking, bailing hay and barn chores.  I didn't think of it as work, I had a blast.  I knew we were taking care of the cows that had the most beautiful eyes.

My cousin Sue, sure could cook.  Everything was made from scratch; pies, cakes with 7 minute frosting, biscuits, cookies and bread.  Notice, I'm listing the sweets that she made.  I helped her in the kitchen and loved every minute of that also.  Sue and George, don't know the impact they had on my life letting me visit for the 5 summers that I did.  They were childless during this time and I felt loved by them.

I still get a warm connection to that part of my heart whenever I see cows. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Piglet Oil Painting, "Hay Maze" by Brande Arno

The finished "Hay Maze"  Piglet Art I truly love how this piece came out.  I've been amazed at the pure color and beautiful brushwork of Angela Moulton's paintings. Every time I see her latest collection on YouTube, I am awestruck at how pure the background color is.  So I wanted to try my hand at upping background color value in my work.   Below is how I started: Hay Maze Start Here, I establish the main layout and gesture of this piglet's face.  I'm striving for something that looks painterly, yet would bring a smile to the face of the viewer, so this stage is important.  Also, color values on the pig are being set.   Hay Maze about halfway This is where I put that rich background color in.  Notice some neutral colors in with the bright.  I wouldn't want all bright green here as it would be like all caps when texting.  I'll re-post the final Hay Maze below: Lots of changes from the halfway point, ...

Double Take

Indigo Bunting, 4 x 4 inches, Oil on Board Click to Bid I'm fortunate to have a mated pair of Indigo Buntings visiting my bird feeder.  I say that because I've had the bird feeder for over 10 years and my first sighting was last week.  The male of this species sports stunning ocean blue feathers...some teal in there also. I paint with a very limited palette, so I was challenged to come up with the right mixtures.  But it wasn't very long before I realized that mixing the right "Indigo" color wouldn't be enough.  So I subdued everything else, to include his cute little beak.

Cocco and a move

"Cocco" 4 x 4 inches, Oil on Gessoboard I have some news for those who subscribe and my collectors.  I'm moving back to Blogger.  It's been a long time and I tried another blogging venue.  It didn't work for me.  This artist has spent countless hours trying to get tech savvy.  I want to paint.  So stay tuned.  First post for 2017 coming shortly.